Rick Mattson, Evangelist/Trainer
Hi folks, It’s been my great joy to have worked at more than 85 different campuses the past few years. I’ve learned a lot! For example — that evangelism and evangelism training are big needs in GFM but, of course, must always be “grad-faculty friendly.”
I’d love to help out at your campus, whether on Zoom or in person. Here’s a list of ways I could possibly serve, and what I’ve done in the past.
Large Group Talks and Seminars
- Christian Skepticism
- Does Character Matter?
- UW River Falls
- Grace Church Roseville MN), Marshall Free Church (MN), Reston Presbyterian (VA)
- Evangelism Workshop
- Boston Staff Team, Harvard Business School, MI State, MI Tech, Rice U, Stanford, UT Austin, Texas A&M, U-Mich
- God, Suffering and Evil
- John Wesley and The Two Loves
- Emory, U-Cincy, Northwestern, MIT
- Muslim/Atheist/Christian Panel
- Stump the Chump
- U-Mich, Northwestern, U-Cincy
- The Hiddenness of God
- Harvard, U-Mich, U-Cincy, Northwestern
- Why Trust the Gospels?
- Rice, Arizona State
- What is Christianity?
- Harvard ISM
- Why Am I a Christian?
- Why Jesus?
- Why Share Your Faith?
- Nor-Cal winter retreat, GA Tech
Calls to Faith
- U-Cincy, U-Mich, Harvard, Northwestern, Michigan retreat, UW River Falls
Individual Student Appointments
- Rice, U-Mich
Evangelism Training Topics
- Theology of evangelism
- Ridding ourselves of old models of salesmanship and imposing on others
- Conversation skills
- Turning the conversation to spiritual matters
- “Front Door – Side Door” conversations
- Telling your story
- A three-part model
- Evangelism as discernment
- Hearing the voice of God, following the Spirit, taking risks
- The Five Thresholds
- Inviting to Events
- A three-step approach for effective invitations
- Campus Evangelism Strategy for GFM/GCF Chapters
- Three key elements
- Three key events
- Apologetics 101
- Intro to popular apologetic topics such as God and suffering, OT violence/slavery, religious pluralism, heaven/hell, etc.
- Sharing the gospel
- Choosing a gospel summary. Calling a friend to faith
- My Evangelism Profile
- A kind of “strengths-finders for evangelism
Typical Schedule for Campus Visits
- 1-3 days at a campus or Area
- Noon and/or evening seminars/LG
- Afternoon appointments
- Visiting Small Groups whenever they meet
- (Or use Zoom)
- No cost to you or your chapter
- Please provide housing and meals, if possible (thanks)
- Staff/donor/faculty housing preferred over hotel
- Angelo Blancaflor (Evangelism Dept)
- Doug Schaupp (Evangelism Dept)
- Hans Nyberg, MI Tech
- Melodie Marske (supervisor)
- Michael Moriarty, GA
- Mickey Sanchez, IL
- Moy Mendez, IL
- Nick Dombrowski, TX
- Renee Nicholas, IL
- Rob Narske, MI
- Ryan Yi, MA
- Sara Chang, MI
- Shaylen Hardy (BCM)
- Susan Park, MA
- Tim Tseng, Nor-Cal
I live in Minnesota and have served on InterVarsity Staff since 1981.
I’m married to Sharon and we have family here in MN. Main hobby: golf!